Divorce isn’t easy, but it gets far more difficult and complicated when there are children involved. Divorcing parents have the additional concern of worrying about how their decision will affect their children. Depending on your child’s age, there are unique concerns you may be facing as a result of ending your marriage. No matter the situation, you must constantly soothe and encourage your child that he or she is in no way, shape, or form a reason for the demise of your marriage.
Teenagers will be able to understand the situation more than younger children, but they will also express their anger and disappointment in a harsher way, perhaps with rebellion. On the other hand, younger children will be able to adjust to changes more quickly, but they will also find it difficult to understand the situation and why it is happening. These unique challenges, however, can be combated with emotional and mental support from both parents.
Consider the following tips if you are considering divorce and share children with your spouse:
- Don’t keep it a secret, tell them as soon as you are sure of the decision
- Be realistic about the facts and let them know it won’t be easy
- Don’t put your child in the middle and make them choose between you and your spouse
- Tell your child with your spouse so you are both on the same page
- Make sure they know the divorce is not because of them
- Be simple and straight-forward, as sugarcoating things now will only make it worse later
- Reassure them you still love them and that will never change
Contact Our Palm Harbor Divorce Lawyers Today
Our Palm Harbor divorce lawyers of K. Dean Kantaras, P.A., want to help you move on from what is undoubtedly an incredibly difficult time in your life. We will advise you on the best course of action to take depending on the specifics of your case. No matter what challenges you may face, you won’t ever have to feel alone. Our committed and dedicated legal team is capable of delivering you the results you’ve dreamed of.
Call (727) 939-6113 to speak to a representative of our firm today.