Expert Legal Guidance You Can Trust
About Board Certification in Florida
Clearwater Attorney Board Certified in Marital & Family Law from the Florida Bar
Our Clearwater attorney at K. Dean Kantaras, P.A. is board certified in marital and family law by the Florida Bar. This is a rare accomplishment achieved by 1% of attorneys. In fact, there are only 274 board certified marital and family law attorneys in the state of Florida-and just 18 of those attorneys are in Pinellas County. But what does this accomplishment mean for you and your case? Keep reading to find out!
What Does Board Certification in Marital & Family Law Mean?
Board certification was established by the Florida Supreme Court in 1982. This accomplishment denotes the highest level of achievement an attorney can reach in terms of evaluation by the Florida Bar for competence and experience. Board certification requires a lawyer to extensively prove his / her ability and understanding of the field of law in which he / she is attempting to be certified. Only attorneys who have received board certification have the right to call themselves "specialists" or "experts" in that legal field.
Requirements for Board Certification
In order to receive board certification in marital and family law in Florida, a lawyer must have:
- Been involved in practicing family law / marital law for a minimum of five years immediately prior to seeking certification
- Been practicing law for at least five years
- Been involved in a minimum of 25 contested marital / family law cases in circuit courts in the five years immediately prior to seeking certification
In addition, the attorney who is applying for board certification in marital / family law must have demonstrated substantial involvement in relevant cases that could prove special competence in this field in the three years immediately prior to seeking certification.
Substantial involvement may include participation in:
- Counseling clients
- Investigating cases
- Participating in client interviews
- Preparing pleadings
- Participating in discovery
- Presenting evidence
- Taking testimony
- Attending hearings
- Negotiating family law / marital settlements out of court
- Attending family law mediations
- Drafting and preparing marital settlement agreements
- Argument and trial of cases that involve Florida family law
In addition, a board certified attorney must have:
- Received positive peer reviews provided on a confidential platform
- Completed 50 hours of continuing legal education within the three years prior to seeking certification
- Passed a thorough and extensive written exam encompassing information about the field of marital and family law
K. Dean Kantaras, P.A. Is Dedicated, Experienced & Proven
Many attorneys claim that they are capable of handling your family law case, but this claim can be difficult to prove. With a board certificated attorney handling your case, you know that your family law issue or divorce is in good hands. Board certification denotes experience, integrity, and capability. That's exactly what we offer here at K. Dean Kantaras, P.A.
“Immigration lawyer Brittany Mohamed is very personable, helpful, and knowledgeable!”Vanessa
“Complex civil matters aren't free”David Maynard
“Dean Kantaras and his very capable team of professionals worked very hard and were always beyond prepared to handle anything the opposing counsel attempted to maneuver.”David M.
Several Decades of Experience on Your Side
Top Rating for Ethics & Skill of AV Preeminent®
Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
Selection for Florida Super Lawyers® - Top 5%